For those of you who haven't heard.. I don't do the obvious like get a book or read instructions I just google and chat and only recently took a class on this. It's all been trial and error. Alot of error. Alot of breakages from dropping things on the floor.. Sometimes I can reclaim my mistakes and other times it's just too late, it's a dead dog.
After messing around with silver clay I have branched out into copper and bronze clay. I love the rusticness of the metal. It is quite unpredictable and the anomalies and mistakes can be cool. Silver clay is so expensive so practicing with the cheaper metal clay is so much fun. I say fun... it's like a roller coaster!
These pieces were made with my mistakes...
The first one was painted on a form made out of cork clay. The middle one was painted on a ribes leaf. And the third one was painted on a sheet of silicone and built up on both sides.
This is a pin that I made for my husband for our silver wedding anniversary.
I coppied the idea from Hercule Poirot. A special lady friend gave it to him and he was never without it.
It was formed around cork clay. It's a lapel pin and you can put flowers in it.
This was an experiment with firing clay with stones. You can tell I like my jewellery to LOOK handmade...
This is the ring I made while I was in Edinburgh. I bought some Silver clay "SLOW" to try out. It is AWFUL! DO NOT BUY. Had to buy some more clay just so I could get something done that day! I made this simple ring. It was great having one to one tuition from Emma Baird but so much time was lost trying to get the slow clay going!!
This is made out of bronze clay slip.
With these I left some of the fire scale on. I just sanded in places. I have come to the conclusion that cork clay doesn't like to be torch fired. You can see where the bronze has bubbled up a bit on the front and has a teeny crack. Good thing I like this look!!
Moving onto copper...
Now here things get interesting....
I decided to make another bead with copper slip. I thought I'd try out Gary's string technique on it.
Here's the bead before firing and with the string just taken off.
Then out came the torch and instantly as it started to burn the bead began to explode.
I was expecting this but not so deep.
Here are some pics of the glowing clay from initial firing back to cold.
I loved the way the firescale and the colours came out here. I wanted to keep it just like that. The crack was cool too. But my anal me just couldn't let it lie.... I just kept thinking that people would just look at this as a firing failure and as the firescale would drop off anyway I decide to fill in the cracks.
Cracks filled in and refired.
Not sure if this was a good idea or not but here's the end result.
THE END :)